This past year I experimented with acrylic nails and I love them, especially the way they always looked great all month without me doing a thing. However, I recently made the decision to go without, and here’s why.
1. Cost. My nails would cost between $20 and $35 a month. (Some women I know go every two weeks, which makes the cost significantly more.) I can use that elsewhere.
2. The smell of the chemicals is overwhelming (at least to me).
3. It’s hard to open a can of pop.
4. Difficult to pick up coins or other small objects from a countertop or table.
5. The nails sometime break or chip on the edges and dirt can wedge its way between your real nail and the acrylic one, leaving a dark line on the edges.
6. They are impossible to remove alone without a huge investment of time.
7. The chemicals and materials destroy your real nails (I’m hoping mine eventually recover).
8. It’s impossible to wedge an acrylic nail between your teeth to flick out a bit of popcorn.
9. Who has the time to drive all the way to the salon and spend an hour getting the nails on? (This was a major decider for me.)
10. The clincher: Acrylic nails make it much harder to rack and shoot your pistols.